Indian Hill’s topography is varied, and an assortment of bridges can be viewed along its byways. They are noteworthy historic structures.
Two railroad bridges are located within Indian Hill’s environs. The bridge over Sycamore Creek at lower Spooky Hollow Road was built for the Cincinnati and Chillicothe Railroad Co. Its iron frame, constructed on top of old limestone and newer concrete abutments, supports the weight of daily freight trains. Because the bridge spans both a waterway and a road, it is unique; and its construction created a pool of water – a popular local fishing spot. The second railroad bridge lies just outside Village limits, at Shawnee Run Road and State Route 126. Where once Pennsylvania Railroad trains transported cargo; now bicyclists and joggers utilize the Loveland Bike Path, and the railway has become a trail way. Also, through Redbird Hollow traces of old railroad bridges can be seen, ruins of the traction line serving early 1900’s local commuters.
Of the fourteen vehicular bridges in Indian Hill several are bermed into the hillside or cover culverts of streams. One treasured landmark of Indian Hill, the Blome Road Bridge, was constructed in 1888 by the Queen City Bridge Company. Its metal Pratt truss formation was retained when it was rebuilt in 1990. Today’s residents take turns using its one lane, a reminder of the slower pace of a bygone era.
Along Loveland-Madeira Road are several renovated bridges, probably built by the WPA. Their concrete slabs, some labeled with rusted plaques, mark the efforts of Depression era road crews. A stark contrast to these older bridges is at the north edge of the Village, where I-275 crosses Weil Road, and semi-trailers whisk across the overpass at a 21st century pace.
Private footbridges provide access and beauty near Village gardens and homes. Built for pleasure, each bridge enhances the sense of “crossing over” for those who traverse it. Along Weil Road an abandoned footbridge over a small stream can be seen. The surroundings, serenity, and homemade handrails of the bridge evoke memories of earlier times. Similarly, Rheinstrom Park’s entrance, with its stone arched bridge, gives passersby a cause for reflection. The meticulous mason who placed each rock in the bridge over Sugar Run left a legacy for today’s residents.
Bridges connect: they shorten our journey and ease our way. A combination of technology and beauty, each bridge tells its own story to imaginative Villagers.